The BSc Economics and Social Policy (ESP) with Foundation Year allows you to study a wide range of economic, social, political and geographical theories while learning how to apply them to contemporary policy issues.
The programme will help you to address important issues such as:
- What explains the massive differences in prosperity across the globe, both between countries and between individuals within countries?
- How do different economic systems affect these outcomes?
- What is the role of government and other power structures in affecting economic and social outcomes?
- How do political systems differ across the world?
- What role do gender and race play in economic, political and social systems?
The programme provides rigorous training in economics and a broad understanding of social policy and politics. As the programme proceeds, you can choose greater specialisation in economics or other disciplines as you wish.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will automatically progress onto our three-year, full-time evening study BSc Economics and Social Policy or onto one of our other Economics programmes: BSc Economics, BSc Economics and Business, BSc Finance with Accounting or BSc Financial Economics. You need only complete one application and you enrol onto one programme.
- Our Foundation Year programmes will fully prepare you for undergraduate study and are ideal if you returning to study after a gap, or if you have not previously studied the relevant subjects, or if you didn't achieve the grades you need for a place on your chosen undergraduate degree.
- The Department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics brings together research and teaching in economics, finance, mathematics and statistics in a single department which creates significant interdisciplinary synergies.
- We have an excellent reputation for the quality of our teaching, providing training for employers such as the Treasury and the Bank of England.
- You will be taught by academics who are professional practitioners in the world of economics and international finance, and who provide specialist advice and in-house training for government departments and City firms and banks.
- The research of our academics, many of whom are recognised as world-class experts in their fields, feeds directly into our teaching programmes. As a student you can be certain that your tutors are actively working to extend the boundaries of knowledge.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
Full Time Including Foundation Year
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||Other Fees|