Our BA Archaeology and Geography will equip you to study past humans and environments through texts, objects and landscapes.
This programme teaches you how to use a range of evidence - from prehistoric pottery to marine sediment, temporal registers and geographical information - to explore the past. You will gain practical archaeological and geographical experience by participating in a fieldschool where archaeology and geography are brought together by situating sites within the context of landscapes. You will also acquire critical and analytical skills by studying and comparing data and methods from the two disciplines of archaeology and geography.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Year, you can automatically progress on to our three-year, full-time evening study BA Archaeology and Geography.
- Our Foundation Year programmes will fully prepare you for undergraduate study and are ideal if you returning to study after a gap, or if you have not previously studied the relevant subjects, or if you didn't achieve the grades you need for a place on your chosen undergraduate degree.
- Arts and humanities at Birkbeck are ranked fifth best in London, 18th in the UK and 87th globally in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject.
- This programme will enable you to study across two departments with world-renowned expertise in the ancient world and environmental studies.
- Our Department of History, Classics and Archaeology is a centre of original, influential research. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), History at Birkbeck was ranked sixth in the UK for the percentage of our research deemed world-leading or internationally excellent. 94% of our eligible staff submitted research and we achieved 100% for a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
- The unique strength of the Department of Geography is the breadth of research interests of our staff. This means that we offer a very wide range of courses in both development and globalisation as well as allowing students to engage with other disciplines such as anthropology and sociology.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||Other Fees|