Counselling is the skilled and principled use of a collaborative relationship using a variety of counselling models and interventions. Counselling is a healing and organic process that occurs when a counsellor and client come together to bring about change and to develop a therapeutic relationship.
The counselling relationship can be a place for clients to recognise how they are feeling and explore any past, present and possibly future issues/life events that they may have. This course will provide students with all the necessary knowledge and skills required to work as an ethical and professional counselling practitioner. This is an integrative counselling course which means students will learn a variety of counselling models and how to integrate these together creating a therapist that can tailor support to the client's needs.
This degree has two parts counselling theory and practice, if students wish to and obtain all elements of the degree, they must complete 100 hours of placement.
If you are interested in a career in counselling, then this degree could provide a route into the profession. This course is designed to enable students to become confident, competent and reflective practitioners in the counselling field though a carefully constructed programme of study. It aims to enable students to understand counselling within a theoretical and professional basis, the degree is split into two parts Theory and Practice. Successful completion of academic studies will confer students an HNC/HND/BA (as appropriate) in Counselling (Integrative) Theory only. The Practice part of the degree is achieved by completing a 100 client contact hours in a voluntary placement sourced by the student.
Personal Therapy – All students are required to complete 30 hours of personal therapy in the first 2 years of the degree, students will be expected to find their own therapist with guidance from their tutor. Personal therapy is funded by the student.
Placements – Students working towards theory and practice are required to complete 100 hours of face to face client placement hours which they will be expected to source in their second or third year of the degree.
Supervision – All students in placement are required to source and pay for their own supervision for 1.5 hours per month in line with the BACP guidance for student members.
Key course benefits;
* Upon completion of this course, you will receive a qualification awarded by Coventry University, which is ranked 13th best university in the UK in the Guardian University Guide 2019. Coventry University were also awarded a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in 2017.
* You will receive support with applying for short and long-term placements, to gain the experience employers desire, with our in-house Careers & Employability department.
* You will have the opportunity for multi-campus learning in Coventry, London and Scarborough.
* Dedication to developing global graduates, meaning you could get the opportunity to undertake international travel and experience. Previous students have visited Greece, Italy and Spain.
* In order to make higher education accessible to as many people as possible, we keep our tuition fees competitively priced.
* Small tutorial group sessions ensure that you receive the mentoring help and support you need.
* Upon graduation at HND or BA level all students who have successfully passed and completed a minimum of 100 hours in their placements, can apply for full individual membership of the BACP after they have passed the Certificate of Proficiency.
* We deliver one module at a time during each block. This means you can dedicate your time to specialise in each subject without the distraction of numerous modules and multiple deadlines.
Your main study themes are:
**Research Methods:** The ability to confidently use secondary research skills, by gathering, retrieving, reviewing and synthesising information appropriate to counselling and supervision.
**Legal Protection:** Research driven knowledge of the care and support of clients which reflects emerging themes, as well as relevant, current government policy and legislation.
For more information about what you will study, please visit our website.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Higher National Diploma - HND||Other Fees|