This programme is designed for students wishing to develop a critical and theoretically informed approach to the arts and the cultural industries. Its approach is interdisciplinary and crosscultural, bringing together art historical, musical, film, and literary perspectives to explore the expressive arts of Asia, Africa and the Middle East and their diasporas. It deals with the creation, interpretation and consumption of various artforms, emphasising regional specifics.
Students will be introduced to a wide range of thematic and theoretical issues, and will have the opportunity to develop practical skills in radio, curating, film festivals and musical performance both within taught modules and assignments. The programme will provide them with a strong theoretical foundation with which to pursue a career in the cultural industries, or to pursue graduate study in these areas.
Both theoretical and practical in orientation, this interdisciplinary degree gives insight into the varied forms of artistic expressions of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. With a contemporary focus, it enables both broad inter-regional understanding and specialisation on a specific area. An emphasis on analytical rigour combined with the development of practical skills equips students with transferable skills opening numerous career paths.
The BA Creative Arts programme will allow you to achieve:
- Familiarity with the distinctive roles of art, music, film and literature within the cultural sector
- Critical awareness of world art/world cultures/world heritage, with an emphasis on SOAS’s regional specialisms (Asia, Africa and the Middle East and their diasporas)
- Regional breadth and depth, with the opportunity for area specializations
- Rigorous interdisciplinary training in theory and critical inquiry
- Synthesis of theory and practice with a curriculum emphasising professional application
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||Other Fees|