The Brunel Physical Education and Youth Sport BSc gives students interested in working with young people in physical education or youth sport a solid understanding of the sport, health and exercise sciences and how physical education can have a positive impact on the academic achievement, health and wellbeing of young learners.
You’ll be introduced to prominent theories of education and a range of research-led teaching and physical training methods geared to the learning needs of young people. These will cover fundamentals such as curriculum planning, instruction and assessment as well as psychological theories related to sport and exercise.
You’ll also explore social issues in physical education such as gender, race and religion, inclusive practice and historical and philosophical aspects related to PE.
We offer three study options. You can choose three years full-time, six years part-time or four years full-time with a one-year professional placement between years two and three that will give you the chance to apply what you’ve learned to real-life situations.
The academic and practical skills you’ll gain from your Brunel degree will open doors to careers in teaching, coaching, youth sport development, community sport and health and fitness or for postgraduate study.
- Fundamentals of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
- Research and Learning Skills I
- Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy
- Introduction to the Social Sciences of Sport
- Physical Activity, Health and Wellbeing
- Synoptic Study I
- Applying Sport Sciences to Practice: Coaching and Teaching Effectiveness
- Physical Activity, Health and Wellbeing in the Lifecourse
- Physical Literacy and the Learning Environment
- Research and Learning Skills II
- Young People, Sport and Identity
- Work Based Learning
- Pedagogy and Policy: Individual Needs
- Synoptic Study II
- Placement year
- Major Project
- Pedagogy and Policy: Critical Issues
- Critical Pedagogy and Learning Environments
- Issues in Physical Activity, Health and Wellbeing
- Employability and Professional Development
- Synoptic Study III
- Sport, Media and Communication
- Applying Sport Sciences to Practice: Training Principles
Tuition & Fees
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£9,250||European Fees|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£15,400||Overseas Fees|
- IELTS (Academic): 6.5 -- with no less than 5.5 in each subsection
- Institution's Own Test: 65% in Brunel English Language Test -- with no less than 55% in each subsection