MA (Hons) Directing is a four-year integrated Masters course which equips you with the artistic and technical skills suitable for work or for further training in theatre, film, television and radio. Working closely with BA (Hons) Acting, the course gives you a deep understanding of the acting process and a common language with performers.
Highly vocational and intensive, MA (Hons) Directing at Drama Centre London prepares you for direct entry to the directing profession while laying the foundations for a successful career in directing across different media.
**Distinctive features of this Integrated Masters course include:**
• Intensive career focus as a professional director.
• Close links with the acting course at the Drama Centre London and collaboration with student designers, filmmakers and others from within Central Saint Martins and the University of the Arts London.
• Strong contacts with the profession, including regular visits by distinguished practitioners either as lecturers, visiting professors or directors.
• Extensive placements with theatre, film and television companies.
• A methodological approach based on the work and achievements of leading artists and teachers from 20th century European and other international traditions.
• A balanced approach to repertoire, covering the classics and contemporary theatre and with a strong emphasis on the screen.
• Options for specialising in directing for either theatre or the recorded media based on a common foundation in acting.
• An option to graduate with a BA Honours degree after three years.
**About Central Saint Martins**
Central Saint Martins is a world-leading centre for arts and design education. Its reputation stems from the ambitions of its students and staff and the outstanding achievements of its graduates. The Central Saint Martins community is dedicated to constantly discovering new ways of thinking, making and doing.
From fine artists and fashion designers to architects and material innovators, disciplines live side-by-side at the College, encouraging curiosity, innovation and conversation that challenges the status quo. Combining academic rigour with creative experimentation, the College inspires students to question accepted norms and test the boundaries of their discipline. Their resulting journeys may be challenging but are never dull. Our alumni include artists and designers who have challenged and shaped the world around us. These include Turner Prize and Oscar winners, as well as Royal Designers for Industry and Royal Academicians.
This forward-looking and restless approach places Central Saint Martins at the heart of London’s creative scene. With over 500 events taking place at the King’s Cross campus annually, the flow of inspiring people, exhibitions and practices provide a unique student experience. Our staff are leading practitioners in their own right, ensuring courses are enriched by strong industry relationships – both locally and globally. The combination of exceptional facilities, people and connections to those working in industry today makes Central Saint Martins a major force in the art and design world.
Central Saint Martins is often recognised for its academic excellence. In 2017, the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design was awarded ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted, and the College was named best provider of both undergraduate and postgraduate fashion education in the Business of Fashion’s Global Fashion School Rankings in 2016 and 2017 consecutively.
Courses sit within nine programmes: Foundation and Access to Higher Education; Fine Art; Culture and Enterprise; Drama and Performance; Fashion; Graphic Communication Design; Jewellery and Textiles; Product, Ceramic and Industrial Design; Spatial Practices.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Master of Arts (with Honours) - MA (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|
|Master of Arts (with Honours) - MA (Hons)||£9,250||European Fees|
|Master of Arts (with Honours) - MA (Hons)||£19,930||Overseas Fees|