This programme equips you with an in-depth understanding of the key conceptual and technological issues involved in building software systems. The Foundation Year provides an alternative entry route for students who don’t currently have the necessary academic profile to enter on to degree level study.
- Our teaching is strongly focused on practical work in real world situations
- We're ranked number 2 in London for computing (Guardian University League Tables 2017)
- You'll learn to develop simple software programs
- A key feature of our department is its interdisciplinarity, so you'll explore how computing interacts with a wide range of other subject areas
- Successful completion of the Foundation Year will enable you to progress onto one of our undergraduate computing degrees in the Department of Computing
During the foundation year (year 0) you will gain basic computer systems skills and learn the mathematics fundamental to information technology systems. You will work on practical examples of computing applications and learn to develop simple software programs.
Level 4 - You take the following modules: Fundamentals of Computer Science, Mathematical Modelling for Problem Solving, Introduction to Programming Web Development, Problem Solving for Computer Science.
Level 5 - You take: Principles and Applications of Programming Data, Networks and the Web, Algorithms and Data Structures, Software Projects.
Optional placement year - Our degrees include an optional industrial placement year between the second and final year of study. Although we encourage you to take the opportunity of a placement year, you can also complete your degree in a straight three years.
Level 6/your final year consists of option modules (term one) and a major project (term two and three), in which you apply your new technological skills to solve real-world problems in innovative and practical ways. Some examples of current final year option modules include: Neural Networks, Computer Security, Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence, Physical Computing, Digital Venture Creation.
Please note that due to staff research commitments not all of these modules may be available every year.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||Other Fees|
- IELTS (Academic)6.0With no element lower than 5.5