BA (Hons) Photography at LCC is an innovative programme that encourages you to develop a distinctive approach to photography. Spanning fine art, documentary and commercial practice and grounded in a critical understanding of the medium, you will develop and research your own ideas in relation to project briefs and learn the skills needed to work professionally. This course is taught at London College of Communication, at Elephant & Castle, part of University of the Arts London (UAL).
**What can you expect?**
This course enables you to develop independent photographic practice and encourages an approach to photography which encompasses fine art, documentary, and commercial practice. For each unit, you will write your own brief and work within a small group to develop creatively through experimentation, research, and technical skills to realise your project.
The contextual studies programme is also a key element of the course. Developed especially for photography students, it will introduce you to a wide range of cutting-edge and historical photographic practices.
You will have an opportunity to visit London-based production photographic studios, magazine and newspaper publishing houses and processing facilities. In addition, visits to art centres, galleries and museums in London will provide wonderful stimuli for project work.
You will also be working with the excellent technical facilities at LCC – including black and white and colour darkrooms, specialist studios and digital suites, available to photography students during term time.
This course is suitable for you if you are fascinated by photography, taking photographs and questioning their purpose, working creatively with photography, curious about photography from a wide perspective, find yourself reading about photography or interested in photographic theory.
**Great reasons to apply**
• BA (Hons) Photography is a conceptually driven, multi-genre photography programme, combining practice, theory and professionalism. Through this approach, we produce creative conceptual photographers who are specialists within their field of interest.
• The course provides an excellent grounding for future academic careers or within the industry in a more commercial approach such as fashion, advertising, editorial photography, art direction and picture editing.
• Graduates go on to enjoy successful careers in the arts, design or media industries. Prominent alumni include Tom Hunter, Bettina von Zwehl and photographer Rankin - the acclaimed co-founder of Dazed and Confused magazine.
• Access to excellent analogue and digital facilities with specialist technicians.
• Our strong relationships with industry provide opportunities and collaborations for students outside of the course structure. Previous external professional projects include OffPrint at Photo London, Tate, Nokia and Zenphone.
**About London College of Communication**
The communications sector is evolving fast. Through our world-leading community of teaching, research and industry partnerships, we enable our students to develop the critical, creative and technical excellence needed to succeed and to discover new possibilities and practices.
Our Design, Media and Screen Schools produce experts and award-winners across virtual reality, journalism, photography, television and sound, graphic communication, games, design management – and more.
The London College of Communication experience is all about learning by doing. Our students get their hands dirty and develop their skills through the exploration of our facilities and technical spaces.
Students work on live briefs and commissions, with everything from independent start-ups and charities in Southwark, through to major global companies. Student designers, makers and innovators have worked with Nike, Penguin, the EU Commission, Colgate, Plan International, the National Trust, Nokia and Royal Mail, to name a few.
Tuition & Fees
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|