This degree combines the study of literature with the study of language from a linguistic perspective. You'll engage with theory and practice in literature and linguistics, and benefit from mutually illuminating critical debates in both disciplines.
**Why study BA English Language & Literature at Goldsmiths?**
- The programme offers a broad foundation in literary studies, including thematic and genre-based approaches to literature, comparative analysis, and literary theory.
- In addition, this programme will give you an in-depth understanding of the English language and will introduce you to applications of this knowledge, for example the teaching and learning of language.
- You will become familiar with historical, geographical, socio-cultural, and situational language variation, and will develop a critical understanding of how language can be used as a resource to project identities and to shape representations of reality
- We will encourage you whenever possible to explore language by engaging with the analysis of data, for example samples of everyday or institutional language, or written texts you have collected yourself
At Level 4 you take four compulsory modules: Explorations in Literature, Approaches to Text, Introduction to the Study of Language, Engaging Poetry or Literature of the Victorian Period.
At Level 5 you take one compulsory module in linguistics: Varieties of English. You also take three literature modules from the range of options available within the Department. At least 30 credits must be from modules encompassing pre-1800 literature.
At Level 6 you take between 60 and 90 credits in linguistics, choosing overall from a range of options in literary studies and linguistics taught in the department. The core dissertation may focus on either discipline. A rotation of single-term 15-credit modules is also available at Level 6.
Please note that due to staff research commitments not all of these modules may be available every year.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||Other Fees|
- IELTS (Academic)6.5With a 6.5 in writing and no element lower than 6.0