This programme will help you develop key knowledge and research skills in the field of earth history and palaeontology. You will receive basic training in earth sciences, with a specialisation in stratigraphy, sedimentology and palaeontology.
This course is very flexible; it is offered as part-time study at Birkbeck or you can study it by distance learning, wherever you are in the world. There is no fieldwork requirement, although you are welcome to attend field classes if you wish.
- Our Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences has been offering evening study courses for over 70 years.
- You will learn in an environment of active research and be taught by lecturers who are working at the forefront of their specialisms.
- Studying with us will give you access to world-class research facilities.
- We are part of the joint UCL-Birkbeck Institute of Earth and Planetary Sciences (IEPS).
- We retain close links with UCL's Department of Earth Sciences, sharing expertise, facilities and events across the two institutions, including live streaming of lectures and digital lecture notes. In our joint submission with UCL, Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences at Birkbeck were rated sixth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- We offer residential field trips to sites in Greece, Morocco, Scotland, Spain and Wales.
For information about course structure and the moules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Certificate of Higher Education - CertHE||£4,625||European Fees|
|Certificate of Higher Education - CertHE||£4,625||Home Fees|
|Certificate of Higher Education - CertHE||£4,625||Overseas Fees|