BA (Hons) Costume for Theatre and Screen at Wimbledon College of Arts introduces students to professional costume for theatre, film, television and live performance.
The course offers two specialist disciplines; costume design and costume interpretation.
**What can you expect?**
• To gain an understanding of the essential elements of costume
• To explore, create and understand costume in relation to historical, contemporary and conceptual contexts
• To work on studio and performance based live projects. These might be costume design for historical or contemporary texts and opera. Or they could be for site-specific production, dance, film or theatre
• To gain experience through live projects. In the past the course has worked with The National Gallery, Victoria and Albert Museum and Windsor Castle
• To explore colour and texture through mixed media experimentation for 2D design and textile work
• To take a creative approach to problem solving during construction
• Teaching from industry professionals. They will ensure you develop a realistic working process, that’s informed by current practices and debates
• An introduction to a broad range of skills and technical areas. These include analysing texts and characters, corsetry, developing a visual language, drawing, millinery, pattern cutting, research, textile manipulation, garment construction and fabrication
• A contextual studies programme. This builds your knowledge and understanding of film, television and the arts
• To have access to Wimbledon's shared workshops.
**About Wimbledon College of Arts**
Set in the heart of South West London, Wimbledon College of Arts encourages practical experimentation to learn the skills needed for a successful career in both acting and design for performance.
The College’s specialist workshops, studios and on-site professional theatre provide an environment in which students can develop and learn from expert tutors and technicians who either work in the industry or have their own practices.
Wimbledon has created an integrated performance environment. Our students collaborate in teams and work side-by-side, their skills complementing each other to provide a rich, integrated approach to making performance. We believe that performance is more than a craft: it’s a way of connecting with others, of approaching challenges, and engaging our communities in the big issues of the day.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|