**As well as your main Imperial degree (BSc), you will also receive the award of the Associateship of the Royal College of Science (ARCS) on completion of this course.**
Biological Sciences at Imperial aims to understand the behaviour of living systems from the level of cells up to whole organisms and ecosystems.
The Department of Life Sciences offers a number of degrees in Biological Sciences, with some degrees enabling you to choose from a broad selection of modules, and others allowing you to specialise in a particular area. This specialist course focuses on all types of microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi and viruses.
You will acquire all the skills you need for a career in modern microbiology, covering the fundamental science of different types of microorganism as well as the important biotechnological, industrial, medical, food and agricultural applications.
- All Biological Sciences students follow the same core modules for the first year, covering the basic areas of biology alongside key scientific skills. This gives you a solid grounding in the fundamental topics, and prepares you for advanced study.
- In the second year you study further core modules including virology and genetics.
- In your final year you will complete a research project on a topic of your choice, and choose from an even wider selection of modules such as epidemiology, immunity and infection, and a tropical biology field course.
Our teaching is enriched by the Department’s internationally leading research programme, so you’ll be learning at the very cutting edge of the subject. You will also benefit from access to our outstanding facilities, including for genomic and cell biology studies, tissue culture suites and the most modern microscopes.
The structure of the Department's courses means that transfer between different Biological Sciences degrees is usually possible up until the end of the first year. If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your Tier 4 visa, but our International Student Support Team are here to help advise and support you.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£9,250||European Fees|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£33,000||Overseas Fees|
- Cambridge English AdvancedBFor pre-2015 test, the College requires grade B overall. If your test result is 2016 onwards, the College requires 185 overall with 176 in all elements/bandsIELTS (Academic)7.0Score above refers to overall score. Additionally, a score of 6.5 is required in all bands.
- Results must be within 2 years of course start date in order to be valid.PTE Academic69.0Score above refers to overall score. Additionally, a score of 62 is required in all bands.
- Results must be within 2 years of course start date in order to be valid.TOEFL (iBT)100.0Score above refers to overall score. Additionally, a score of 22 is required in all bands.
- Results must be within 2 years of course start date in order to be valid.