*Please select this version of the BMus course if you wish to apply for single or joint principal study Composition.
The Composition Faculty at the Royal College of Music focuses on both the creative and commercial aspects of being a composer. We aim to build and sustain your craft, be it composition for the concert hall, the opera house or for film, television and media. Composition at the RCM is about partnerships between talented composers who want to write music and gifted instrumentalists who want to perform music. Composers are offered a wholly exceptional performance environment in which they have the opportunity to hear their compositions played by resident and visiting musicians, RCM orchestras, ensembles and fellow students of the highest technical and musical ability.
Undergraduate study at the Royal College of Music balances high'level practical training with critical enquiry into music past and present. Students investigate music in context and how it operates in contemporary cultures. The RCM also provides a range of options for developing practical and applied skills. In essence, it includes individual lessons with distinguished musicians; core units in historical, technical, practical, and vocational subjects delivered in small groups; and a variety of performances.
Our undergraduate programme is designed to be flexible, especially in years 3 and 4, ensuring you can undertake study directly relevant to your needs and aspirations. A variety of options helps every student develop their interests during their time at the RCM.
From the very beginning of the course you will be able to draw on exceptional resources and opportunities, such as the RCM Library, the Centre for Performance Science, Creative Careers Centre and RCM Sparks – our outreach and education programme.
Royal College of Music courses are internationally recognised, with successful students awarded their qualifications under the RCM's Royal Charter.
Years 1 and 2
• Performance studies in Principal, Related, and Second instruments, with regular faculty'based workshops, activities, and opportunities for performance
• Training in music education
• Courses in music history and performance practice, practical musicianship/stylistic studies, aural awareness, study skills, Alexander Technique, and musicians' wellbeing
• Options in music history and stylistic studies topics in Year 2
• Opportunity to fast track to higher levels of study in aural awareness and practical musicianship
Years 3 and 4
• Continuing work in performance studies
• Creation of a personalised programme of study from a variety of options (offered on either a yearly or two'yearly basis)
• Opportunity to undertake an exchange to one of the RCM's partner institutions in Europe, the USA, Australia or Japan.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Music (with Honours) - BMus (Hon)||Other Fees|