BA Textile Design at Chelsea College of Arts wants you to take an experimental and creative approach to textile design.
You will gain colour, design and materials knowledge within textile print, knit, stitch and weave. Through fashion, sustainability, interior and exterior design projects you will develop ideas and conceptual thinking. The course encourages a studio culture to develop alongside specialist textile workshops.
**What you can expect:**
• To explore a variety of textile areas. These include design for digital print, dyeing, knit, screen print, stitch and mixed media textiles. There is also digital embroidery and weave including digital Jacquard
• To develop your visual research skills and idea generation for design
• To gain and improve your technical skills
• To have support from leading practitioners in textile design
• A critical theory programme that helps you to consider your design practice within broad social, cultural, environmental and historical contexts
• To gain vital commercial experience through live projects. In the past we have worked with Burberry, Chinese Design Centre, Gainsborough Silks, H&M, Indesign, Iberoamericano University (Mexico), Latitude Festival, Made.com, Marks & Spencer, Nike, Collection and trend forecasting company WGSN and Zara
• The opportunity to apply to attend international trade fairs. Students have exhibited at Première Vision Designs, part of Première Vision, Paris
• To be able to take part in an exchange to another institution. Students have been to Berlin, Borås, Kyoto, Paris, Stockholm and Tokyo. The course also has relationships with some American colleges. These include the Fashion Institute of Technology, Parsons the New School for Design and Rhode Island School of Design
• To have access to course specific specialist facilities. There is a print and dye lab and digital print computer suite. We also have workshops for stitch, digital embroidery, knit and weave
• To have access to Chelsea's shared workshops. These include ceramics, casting, laser cutting, photography, audio-visual editing suite, metal and woodwork.
**About Chelsea College of Arts**
Chelsea College of Arts is one of London's most prestigious art and design colleges. The College offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in curating and collections, fine art, graphic design communication, textile design, product and furniture design, interior design, and interior & spatial design.
The College's small size and supportive atmosphere creates an exciting community of creative students and staff. You will learn the practical, theoretical and professional elements of your subject from our expert staff. Chelsea College of Arts is a place where experimentation, ideas and concepts are encouraged to develop.
The College's Grade ll listed Pimlico site, located in central London overlooks the Tate Britain and the River Thames. It has excellent workshops, extensive library facilities, a canteen and an onsite gallery, Chelsea Space.
The College’s alumni include Anish Kapoor, Steve McQueen, Haroon Mirza, Mariko Mori, Mike Nelson, Chris Ofili, James Richards, Mark Wallinger, Gillian Wearing and Tatty Devine co-founders, Harriet Vine and Rosie Wolfenden.
Tuition & Fees
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|