Our BA Archaeology and Geography will equip you to study past humans and environments through texts, objects and landscapes.
This programme teaches you how to use a range of evidence - from prehistoric pottery to marine sediment, temporal registers and geographical information - to explore the past. You will gain practical archaeological and geographical experience by participating in a fieldschool where archaeology and geography are brought together by situating sites within the context of landscapes. You will also acquire critical and analytical skills by studying and comparing data and methods from the two disciplines of archaeology and geography.
- History at Birkbeck was ranked top in the UK for intellectual stimulation in the 2019 National Student Survey and first in London for teaching quality.
- We are an international centre of excellence. Since 2001 we have consistently been in the top ten departments evaluated by the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- Our research is unique in its range across geographical and chronological boundaries. We are the only university department in London to include historians, classicists and archaeologists investigating every period from prehistory to the early twenty-first century. We see the study of the past as crucial for our understanding of present-day society, culture and politics.
- We are at the heart of academic London with access to unparalleled research resources. Situated very close by are: the Institute of Classical Studies, with its library, training facilities and seminars; the British Museum, with its extensive collection of classical antiquities; and the British Library, the largest national library in the world.
- The Department of History, Classics and Archaeology is home to thriving student societies and a number of affiliated research centres that actively run seminars, conferences and other events where some of the world's best scholars present their latest research.
- The unique strength of the Department of Geography is the breadth of research interests of our staff. This means that we offer a very wide range of courses in both development and globalisation as well as allowing students to engage with other disciplines such as anthropology and sociology.
For information about course structure and the modules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
Tuitions and fees
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|3 Years - full-time||Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£9250||European Fees|
|3 Years - full-time||Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£9250||Home Fees|
|3 Years - full-time||Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£14280||Overseas Fees|
|4 Years - part-time||Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£6935||European Fees|
|4 Years - part-time||Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£6935||Home Fees|
|4 Years - part-time||Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£10710||Overseas Fees|