Earth science is the study of the world around us. This course introduces you to a range of disciplines, from geophysics to palaeontology, and from volcanology to sedimentology.
As well as attending this course at Birkbeck in central London, you can also study by distance learning via our online learning environment, so you can access course materials and recordings of lectures wherever you are in the world - and whenever it suits you.
The earth sciences cover a broad spectrum of research topics. You may have an interest in studying the evolution of life through the millennia, working with the fossil record to chart the development and extinction of species. You may be interested in looking at the dynamics involved in geohazards such as earthquakes and volcanoes. You may want to reconstruct ancient environments with an eye to addressing key environmental issues of our time, such as climate change and coastal erosion. Or you may wish to expand your general knowledge of the sciences, developing your skills of data collection and scientific analysis.
- Our Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences has been offering evening study courses for over 70 years.
- You will learn in an environment of active research and be taught by lecturers who are working at the forefront of their specialisms.
- Studying with us will give you access to world-class research facilities. We are part of the joint UCL-Birkbeck Institute of Earth and Planetary Sciences (IEPS).
- We retain close links with UCL's Department of Earth Sciences, sharing expertise, facilities and events across the two institutions, including live streaming of lectures and digital lecture notes. In our joint submission with UCL, Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences at Birkbeck were rated sixth in the UK in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- We offer residential field trips to sites in Greece, Morocco, Scotland, Spain and Wales.
For information about course structure and the moules you will be studying, please visit Birkbeck’s online prospectus.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£6,935||Home Fees|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£6,935||European Fees|
|Bachelor of Science (with Honours) - BSc (Hons)||£10,275||Overseas Fees|