To ‘study abroad’ has different meanings in different countries. Here, you will find information about short-term study abroad programmes which allow you to study at a London university for one or two semesters. After that, you will return to your home institution to complete your studies.
Here's our guide for students who want to apply for a study abroad programme at a university in London, UK. If you are looking to complete your whole degree in the UK, please use the course search to find suitable courses available at universities in London.
Why Study Abroad in London?
London is a global city and a gateway to Europe. You can study at a top ranked university which will enhance your career prospects. You will experience a unique multicultural environment and you will never be bored because in London there is something for everybody:
- Inspirational – you can attend more than 200 events and lectures that take place every day
- Cultural – you can visit the famous (and free) cutting edge museums and art galleries
- Historic – you will experience thousands of years of history as you walk through London's diverse neighbourhoods
- Stimulating – there are more restaurants, pubs and cocktail bars than you could ever visit
- Rewarding – you can choose from more than 20 universities and thousands of excellent courses
- Connected – with thousands of international flights and the Eurostar to Europe, you can use London as your springboard to explore the world
- Welcoming – come and live and study in the most multicultural, cosmopolitan city in the world
What Study Abroad Programmes are Available in London?
London universities and colleges have a wide range of flexible Study Abroad Programmes for international students who want to study in the UK and gain credits towards their final degree.
You can choose from a range of options. You can study for a full academic year or choose to study in London in either the autumn (fall) or spring semester. Summer Study Abroad programs are also available.
What is it like to Study Abroad in London?
As a Study Abroad student, you will be fully integrated into the academic and social life of the university. You will attend the same lectures and tutorials as full-time students on your course. Classes and lectures are designed to give you the opportunity to learn independently and work with other students in tutorial discussions and seminar-based classes.
You can choose from many different subjects on offer at the universities. You can focus on one specific subject or take a variety of modules from different areas.
As a Study Abroad student you may be offered on-campus accommodation. You'll live and study with British students as well as the 110,000 international students in London who come from more than 200 different nations.
London Universities with Study Abroad Programmes
- AA School of Architecture
- Birkbeck, University of London
- Brunel University London
- City University London
- Courtauld Institute of Art
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama
- Imperial College London
- King's College London
- Kingston University London
- London Metropolitan University
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- London South Bank University
- Middlesex University
- Queen Mary University of London
- Regent's University London
- Rose Bruford College of Theatre & Performance
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal College of Music
- Royal Holloway, University of London
- Royal Veterinary College
- SOAS, University of London
- St Mary's University, Twickenham
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- UCL (University College London)
- University of Greenwich
- University of Roehampton
- University of the Arts London
- University of West London
- University of Westminster