Accommodation which is owned by your university or college is usually referred to as ‘halls of residence’. The majority of universities in London provide accommodation in halls of residence for their students.
©University of Roehampton

This accommodation type is extremely popular and there are normally more applications than places. However, many universities give priority to international students who have not studied in the UK before. Make sure you submit your accommodation application as soon as you have confirmed your place to study at the university.

What’s included?

In halls of residence, you will have your own bedroom but you will share a kitchen with other students. This is a great way to make friends with the other students in your building. The kitchens are well equipped with fridges, freezers and cookers so students can shop in the local supermarkets and prepare their own food.

Universities normally offer either a standard room or an en-suite room. If you opt for a standard room, you will also be sharing bathroom facilities with other students. En-suite rooms come with their own, private bathroom (usually toilet, sink and shower).

Your bedroom is likely to have a bed, a desk, a wardrobe and bookshelves. Internet access, electricity, heating and hot water are all included in the price.

Most halls also have a social room where you can chat and watch TV with your fellow students and laundry facilities. Some also have a study room, a small library and a prayer room, which students of any religion can use.


Halls of residence benefit from 24 hour security. Student require a pass to enter the building and any friends and guests have to be signed in at the security desk.

Most halls accept male and female students. Not every university has single-sex accommodation. If this is important to you, please contact your university before applying for accommodation.

Catering options

The majority of halls of residence in London are self-catered. This means you are responsible for buying food and preparing your own meals.

A number of halls of residence in London also have catered options. Catered accommodation usually includes breakfast and dinner. If you are interested in catered accommodation, you should check with the university what exactly is included. 

Moving into private accommodation

Accommodation in halls of residence is usually only available for your first year of study. If your course lasts for more than one year, you will normally need to find private accommodation for the remainder of your studies.

Your college or university may be able to help you arrange this, or offer managed properties (private accommodation managed by the college or university).

Cost of University Halls of Residence

The costs stated usually include all bills such as electricity, water and internet.

  • Standard room: £135 - £210 per week
  • En-suite room: £130 - £260 per week
  • Studio apartment: £140 - £340 per week

Other types of rooms, such as twin rooms, rooms for couples and flats for families may also be available. Please contact your chosen university for information on the accommodation options for students.