Royal Holloway, University of London

Course Introduction

The RHUL English Department has an international reputation for advanced research. We have an excellent record of PhD completion and a thriving postgraduate community.

Currently we have around 50 PhD students researching topics across the full range of English literary studies, Creative Writing, and Poetic Practice.

Royal Holloway has excellent research facilities, including electronic resources and the largest library in the University of London.

The English Department supports a significant body of postgraduate students developing Practice'based PhDs, in which a component part of the research involves producing a body of creative work.

We currently have students developing novels, poetry collections, plays and creative work involving experimental poetic practices across disciplines and through a wide range of media. This creative component is coupled with the submission of a written critical component.

The relationship between the creative and critical work varies depending on the specific project, but can involve writing a critical reflection on the creative work and process of generating it; critically engaging with the work of related writers or artists; forwarding practical and/or theoretical lines of inquiry initiated by the creative practice, and so forth.

The Department welcomes applications for Practice'based PhDs from persons interested in pursuing this mode of research.

Research interests include: 17th and 18th century literature and culture; 19th century literature; 20th and 21st century literature and theory; medieval studies; Shakespeare and renaissance; creative writing and practice'based research.

Start Date:


Duration & Attendance Qualification Tuition fees Fee type
4 years
Full Time
Doctor of Philosophy - PhD £13,200 Overseas Fees
6 years
Part Time
Doctor of Philosophy - PhD £13,200 Overseas Fees
2 years
Full Time
Master of Philosophy - MPhil

Qualifications required:

  • Normally an Upper-Second Class Bachelor's degree, or a Master's degree in English or related subject.