MA Animation explores both the theory and practice of animation across a broad range of experimental visual media. The course encourages experimental and reflective practice that echoes the cross'media nature of the design, communication and media industries. This course is taught at London College of Communication, at Elephant & Castle, part of University of the Arts London.
**What can you expect?**
• MA Animation at LCC is taught as a broad and experimental visual practice in the context of communication design. With new technologies changing how we make, understand and experience animation, you will be encouraged to test boundaries and look at animation in many forms and in many ways.
• The central ethos of the course is to encourage you to realise all your creative goals. We do this by giving you enough freedom and guidance to test and discover creative ideas within a critical framework, whilst developing your accomplished production skills across 2D, 2.5D, 3D, stop'motion and drawn animation.
• You'll develop skills in narrative storytelling and interpreting ideas for the flat screen, and you'll also be encouraged to work across multiple formats. You'll explore how animation can be used in different contexts, such as in the fine arts, installation and digital media – exploring the online, mobile and interactive opportunities for animation practice.
• Graduates of MA Animation will be equipped to work in an increasingly technologically informed and interdisciplinary design world, with in'depth skills in the following areas: animation and animation production; 3D and 2D visual communication; narrative and sequential image making; typography; and time'based design. Graduates will also have developed a portfolio of personal work to enable them to seek work as a commercial animation director.
• A significant proportion of MA Animation graduates will want to practice as commercial animators. The course also supports progression to research at MPhil/PhD level as well as to advanced self'directed experimental practice.
**About London College of Communication (LCC)**
The LCC experience is all about learning by doing. As an LCC student, you’ll get your hands dirty and develop your skills in outstanding technical spaces. Our facilities are at an industry standard and include photographic and television studios, darkrooms, 3D workshop, prototyping lab, gallery spaces, printing studios, and newsrooms.
Our courses are industry focused and you’ll be taught by an inspiring community of experienced academics, technical experts, and leading specialist practitioners within our Design School, Media School and Screen School.
We offer a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in subjects such as journalism, advertising, Public Relations and publishing, photography, film, television and sound, graphic communication, illustration and visual communication, animation, games, design management, branded spaces and interactive and information design.
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
- Honours degree (animation, illustration, visual communication, graphic design or closely related subject); possession of equivalent qualifications; prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required; or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required. Applicants whose 1st language is not English require IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent), with a minimum of 5.5 in each of the four skills. All applicants, both UK and resident overseas, will be expected to submit an electronic portfolio on CD or via a website link together with their application form. The portfolio should have some examples of image-led and visual work from either education or professional practice. The portfolio can be supplied as a PDF with links to web projects and media assets. It should contain a minimum of 5 projects and self-initiated projects are also encouraged.