Our BA Archaeology and Geography will equip you to study past humans and environments through texts, objects and landscapes.
This programme teaches you how to use a range of evidence ' from prehistoric pottery to marine sediment, temporal registers and geographical information ' to explore the past. You will gain practical archaeological and geographical experience by participating in a field school where archaeology and geography are brought together by situating sites within the context of landscapes. You will also acquire critical and analytical skills by studying and comparing data and methods from the two disciplines of archaeology and geography.
This course is also available for part'time evening study over four years.
• Arts and humanities courses at Birkbeck are ranked third best in London and 13th in the UK in the Times Higher Education 2016'17 World University Subject Rankings.
• This programme will enable you to study across two departments with world'renowned expertise in the ancient world and environmental studies.
• Our Department of History, Classics and Archaeology is a centre of original, influential research. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), History at Birkbeck was ranked sixth in the UK for the percentage of our research deemed world'leading or internationally excellent. 94% of our eligible staff submitted research and we achieved 100% for a research environment supporting world'leading and internationally excellent research.
• The unique strength of the Department of Geography is the breadth of research interests of our staff. This means that we offer a very wide range of courses in both development and globalisation as well as allowing students to engage with other disciplines such as anthropology and sociology.
Year 1 compulsory modules:
• Approaching the Past
• Discovering Archaeology: From Field to Finds Room
• Fieldschool: Buried Humanities (Level 4)
• Introduction to Spatial Thinking
Year 2 compulsory module:
• Exploring the Past
Year 3 compulsory modules:
• Geography/Environment Research Project
• Writing the Past: Dissertation
Indicative Level 5 option modules:
• Beginnings: The Archaeology of Prehistory
• Environmental Processes
• Fieldschool: Buried Humanities
Indicative Level 6 option modules:
• Advanced Applications of GIS
• Landscape Change: Past and Future (1)
• Living with Climate Change
• Principles of Geographic Information Systems Level 6
• Storms, Seas and Rivers: hydrology in the field (2)
• The Archaeology of Human Evolution
|Duration & Attendance||Qualification||Tuition fees||Fee type|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£9,250||Home Fees|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£13,350||Overseas Fees|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£6,935||Home Fees|
|Bachelor of Arts (with Honours) - BA (Hons)||£10,025||Overseas Fees|