Universities in London offer a number of exciting summer school courses. A Summer School is a short-term course lasting from 1 week to 2 months, depending on the course you choose.
Summer Schools provide an excellent opportunity to experience what it is like to be a student at a London university. You can choose from a number of academic courses which will allow you to gain valuable international academic experience. And there will, of course, be plenty of opportunities to get out in London and experience all the city has to offer.
There are two types of academic Summer Schools:
Pre-University Summer School
This type of Summer School is designed for students who are still at school. A pre-university summer school provides an ideal opportunity to experience university life before you have to make a decision about where to apply for your degree studies.
The timetable includes academic and social activities, and students are looked after by university staff and students throughout the course.
Summer School for university students & graduates
There are many Summer School options for students who are already studying at university level or have already graduated. Some of these Summer Schools may also accept students who are about to start their university studies. There are a wide number of Summer School courses available in London which integrate academic studies with opportunities to visit industry-related businesses and institutions in and around London. Courses can often be taken for credit towards degrees at your home institution.
List of London universities offering Summer Schools in 2016
A number of London universities offer Summer Schools. As with your degree choice, you should look carefully at the subjects on offer and the extra-curricular activities offered as part of the Summer School. Here are some examples of popular options at universities in London:
- The Summer School will focus on London’s architectural heritage. The course is aimed at people who want to change their architectural lives, and is open to school leavers, university students and professionals. Find out more here.
- The Cass London Summer School offers courses in the key business disciplines of Finance, Accounting, Strategy and Marketing. The courses are open to current undergraduate students and graduates of any discipline. Find out more here.
- The Summer School in Art History offers 32 different week-long art history courses focusing on specific themes and covering historical periods from late antiquity to the present day. Participants must be aged 18 or above. Find out more here.
- The Summer School focuses on international business topics, combining academic study, field trips and cultural activities to deepen students’ knowledge of global business practices. The courses are for university students and graduates aged 18+. Find out more here.
- The International Summer School offers courses in Fashion Marketing and Luxury Brand Marketing as well as an optional orientation week in London. The courses are designed for current students, graduates and recent school leavers. Find out more here.
- A wide range of summer school options are available in Drama, Music and Technical Theatre. Courses are available for students who are still in school, as well as university level students and professionals. Find out more here.
- Imperial College Business School offers an intensive summer school programme with courses in finance, entrepreneurship, business strategy and strategic marketing. The courses are open to current university students and professional. Find out more here.
- Imperial also offers a two-week Global Summer School for 15 – 17 year olds who have a passion for science, technology, engineering or mathematics. Find out more here.
- King’s offers three types of summer schools, one for current university students, one for professionals already in work and a pre-university summer school for 16 – 18 year olds. Courses are available in the fields of business, governance, health, culture and law. Find out more here.
- Kingston University offers a 4 week accredited summer school with a number of courses available in the fields of art, architecture, culture, business and literature. The courses are designed for current university students and include a mixture of lectures and field trips. Find out more here.
- Kingston Business School also offers a 2 week open summer school with English language option which includes introductory classes in International Business or Entrepreneurship and social activities and trips. Find out more here.
- The Entrepreneurship Summer School gives you the chance to assess and shape your business opportunity in a practical way. The course is designed for individuals who want to research the feasibility of a new business idea. Find out more here.
LSE Summer School is the largest of its kind in Europe and is also one of the most well-established, having first launched in 1989. The programme offers over 80 three-week courses in Accounting, Finance, Law, Economics, Business and International Relations. All courses are taught by LSE’s world-renowned faculty and take place on its campus in the heart of Central London. LSE also runs an Executive Summer School, Methods Summer Programme and Summer Languages Programme Find out more here.
- A number of short-courses, lasting from one day to three months, are available. Students can choose from a number of specialised topics in a broad range of health and global health fields. Find out more here.
- The Summer School offers over 30 different courses, lasting from 1 week to 5 weeks. Courses are designed for current university students, although for most courses prior knowledge of the subject area is not required. Find out more here.
- Regent’s intensive six-week summer programmes offer a unique learning experience in the fields of liberal arts, fashion, interior design, communication design, drama, film and media. There is also an option to visit Paris too. Find out more here.
- The School offers a number of short summer courses in drama and voice. Anyone with an interest in these areas is welcome to apply. A Youth Summer School for 6 – 17 year olds is also on offer for younger students who are considering applying for a drama degree at university. Find out more here.
- The Pre-Vet Summer School is ideal for students who are considering a career in veterinary medicine or biological science. Students will be able to gain veterinary experience in animal hospitals and research facilities. Applicants aged 16+ can apply for the course. Find out more here.
- A wide variety of courses are on offer, varying in length and structure. Students can choose from purely academic courses or a mix of academic and English language courses. To apply, students will need to have graduated from High School, but in exceptional circumstances younger students may be considered. Find out more here.
- This summer school is designed for international students who are thinking about studying medical, biomedical or health sciences in the UK. The course provides an introduction to a broad range of medical subjects, including workshops in radiography and physiotherapy amongst others. Find out more here.
- The Tourism Summer School is aimed at university students from other countries studying Tourism, Culture, Heritage, Management or English Language, and who wish to broaden their understanding of another culture as well as improving their spoken and written English. Find out more here.
- Trinity Laban offers a choice of summer schools in musical theatre and dance, lasting from one to two weeks. The dance summer school offers different courses for different levels of ability. Applicants should be aged 16+. Find out more here.
- UCL's International Summer School for Undergraduates offers 36 different modules which are taught by UCL academics on the Bloomsbury campus and include lectures, seminars, group work and visits to areas of interest in and around London. Accommodation is available within walking distance of UCL and a varied programme of social events is on offer. Find out more here.
- UCL also offers an English Language Summer School which provides an opportunity for international students to receive high-quality English language tuition and cultural experiences. These courses are for university students who are non-native English speakers with specific interests in culture and communications or who study English Language as part of their degree. Find out more here.
- The International Summer School offers a range of courses in the areas of fashion, architecture, business, psychology, international development, health, sports and English language. Most of the courses do not require prior knowledge of the subject area but applicants should be current undergraduate students. Find out more here.
- The summer school offers a number of 3-week courses in the areas of English, law, business and psychology, amongst others. Students can apply to study one course over 3 weeks or two courses over 6 weeks. Applicants should be aged 18+ and have completed high school. Find out more here.
- This pre-university summer school is designed for students aged 16 to 18 who are taking the International Baccalaureate or a similar qualification. The intensive 3-week programme takes place across UAL's six Colleges. It provides an introduction to art college and offers an opportunity to explore London through art and design projects. Find out more here.
- The summer school offers a wide variety of courses in the fields of English language, liberal arts, law, media, health, tourism and business. The 3-week courses are designed for students who have finished high school or are already at university. Find out more here.
- Click on the University name to read more about the university you will be studying at
- Click on ‘Find out more here’ for more information on the summer schools you are interested in
- Ask your favourite universities questions by clicking on ‘contact’ on the university profiles