How Much Money Do I Need?
UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) requires you to have a budget of at least £1,020 per month to study in inner London (in addition to your tuition fees). In order to apply for a Tier 4 visa, you will need to show that you have £1,020 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of nine months. This means that if you will be studying in inner London for a course lasting nine months or more, the maximum amount that you will need is £9,180.
Note: if you apply for a Tier 4 visa on or after 12 November 2015 this amount will increase to £1,265 per month. Therefore if your course lasts for nine months or more you will have to show £11,385.
Most London university campuses are located within the inner London area. Some campuses are located in outer London. If you study at one of these campuses you will require a minimum budget of £820 per month as requested by UKVI.
Remember you will also need to pay for your university tuition fees.
The cost of student accommodation can vary greatly depending on the type of accommodation you choose and the location. Read more about the cost of accommodation. .
The government estimates that, in addition to your accommodation costs, you will need approximately £104 per week for living costs, but this will vary depending on how much you socialise.
Calculate your costs using the student budget calculator.
London Life is Cheaper Than You Think
Did you know? London was voted the most cost-effective city in the UK for students.
With so many part-time jobs available, you can support your studies and enjoy London life while you study. Plus you'll have great work experience to add to your CV.
Money Saving Tips for Students in London
- For the latest advice and information about work and study in the UK, buy a UK Study Pack. Created for international students, the UK Study Pack is full of valuable information and great cost savings.
- Enjoy thousands of free events, lectures and seminars held in London throughout the year. Find out more at Visit London..
- Sign-up for discounted student travel and save 30% on London travelcards. Find out more at Transport for London.
- There are thousands of student discounts available ranging from travel to books and cinema tickets to eating out. Find out more at Visit London.
- Research where to live. Rent costs vary widely depending on your location in London. Find out more on the London Student Accommodation Guide.
- The best things in life are free. Discover historical London, visit Royal Parks and enjoy free entrance to world-class galleries and museums. Find out more at Visit London.
London is Great Value for Students
Don't forget, by studying in London you are investing in your future and you will:
- Gain an internationally recognised qualification
- Gain valuable work experience
- Study in a city with links to global companies
- Live in the world's most culturally diverse city
- Create an international network of friends
- Improve your language skills, be it in English, Hindi or Arabic!